Firelands Lutherans Active in Mission (FLAMe)
formerly known as Sandusky Area Lutherans in Mission (SALM)
Board Meeting Minutes
June 20, 2016
Pr. Monty Kaufman, Jane Ann Cummings, Barb Rohrbacher, Cathy Wobser, Judy McEowen, Darlene Janka, Karen Munsterman, Michelle Schaffer, Lori Schlick, Dee Ridenour and Barry Laird, Bob Krawetski .
John Mears, Jan TerVeen, Brent Gardner
Lori shared devotion from Lutheran Hour Ministries reminding us that God’s grace is sufficient in all things.
The Secretary’s minutes from May 2016 were corrected with a name change. Karen Munsterman serves on the Rules and Governance Revision committee, not Judy McEowen. Motion to accept the corrected minutes: Barry, Second: Karen.
The checking account has $3,261.90 and the savings account has $4,432.63. Motion to accept the treasury report was made by Bob, Second: Michelle. Motion passed. 2016 dues have been received from: St. Paul, trinity, Grace, St. John’s, and Zion, Huron. A $200 check was written to support the July 2nd Gathering event.
JOY Time: June meeting went well with Canines for Christ conducting the Bible study. Lori and Judy shared the activity Allison young presented called “God’s Survival Kit”. Cathy will contact Allison to see if the activity can be made available to the Board to share with others. The next meeting will be held on July 14, 2016.
The Giving Garden: The Garden is looking great. Pastor Merlin Jacobs conducted a blessing on the garden. Jeff Justi has taken over the leadership on this ministry as Paul Stengel retires.
Stephen Ministry: A new class with eight students continues to meet every Tuesday.
2017 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation: Pr. Monty presented a request from Paul Lucht to recontact the Firelands Symphony about performing Lutheran Music during the 2017 season.
The Mission Summit, Moving Forward to Make Christ Known: The Dinner Church committee will host a run through on July 20th at 6pm in the State Room of the Sandusky State Theater. The Life Tree Café committee is also still meeting.
Discussion to revise or replace the current banner continued. The current banner has been misplaced and the search is on to locate it. Barb spoke with Loris printing about changes. Judy said Loris sent her to Graphics Gone Wild for the 2015 changes.
Rules and Governance Revision:
The committee of Karen Munsterman, Michelle Schaffer, Lori Schlick, and Cathy Wobser presented proposed changes, simplifications, and updates to sections C4-R1 of the document. The Board made additional changes and approved the updates after a motion by Darlene, second Dee. The committee will continue to meet and present additional changes at the next meeting.
God’s Work. Our Hands. Several churches have plans under way.
- Grace will provide a meal for the Castalia Police and Fire Departments and are awaiting a response from Groton Township’s force.
- Zion, Sandusky will host a breakfast for the Sheriff’s Department and the Perkins and Sandusky Police and Fire Departments.
- St. Peter, Norwalk is sending cookie plates to Norwalk’s first responders and inviting them to a service.
- Zion, Huron is hosting an ecumenical community prayer service for first responders followed by refreshments. They are also continuing their laundry event by surprising those at the laundromat by paying for their laundry and providing detergent. Light house repairs and yard work will also be completed for community members. Huron has also sought an action grant from Thrivent Financial to help cover costs.
Third Annual Erie County Recovery Walk Lori motioned and Bob second to continue our support for this event at the $250 level. Motion passed.
Catholic Charities Cathy shared that tomorrow is an informational meeting at St. Paul’s on the community services offered by Kristina Woods of Catholic Charities. She will attend to keep the Board apprised of the ministry.
Karen Shared that today was Huron’s first day of VBS. LOMO is presenting the week-long event. Three camp counselors are hosting 30 children to rave reviews.
The Board appointed officers elect Judy McEowen and Michelle Schaffer to fill the vacant positions of vice president and treasurer, respectively, for the remainder of 2016.
Motion to adjourn: Motion by Lori, second, Karen. The meeting closed with The Lord’s Prayer.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND SALM CHURCH NEWS:
- Sunday, July 2: The Gathering, community Christian gathering with concert by Kutless, downtown Sandusky.
- Thursday, July 14: JOY Time, an evening of Christian ministry and fun for adults with disabilities, St. Paul, 6-7:30pm.
- Sunday, July 24: Welcome Table, community meal, open to all, St. Paul, noon-1:30
- VBS dates:
- July 25-29, 9-noon, “Cave Quest”, Zion, Sandusky
- July 24, 25, 26, 6-8:30, Grace and trinity will hold a combined VBS at Trinity
- Sunday, August 28: Welcome Table, community meal, open to all, St. Paul, noon-1:30
- Sunday, September 11: God’s Work. Our Hands. Service Sunday. 15th anniversary of 9/11. Please keep first responders in your project planning.
Devotion: Barry Laird
Date and Location: July 18, 2016, St. Paul, 7 pm.